Miller Funeral Home and Crematory-Serving the Families of Somerset County Since 1953

Stacks Image 148
Wilbur D. Miller, after serving his apprenticeship at Clyde Brooks Funeral home and working as a funeral director there for several years, acquired the property on Tayman Avenue, the current location of Miller Funeral Home and Crematory, Somerset, and opened the doors of Wilbur D. Miller Funeral Home on October 17, 1953. The house was a structure built in 1921 by the Frank and Agnes Neilan family. Wilbur directed 12 funerals that 1st year, and his young bride, the former Wilma Meyers, began her legacy of designing and maintaining immaculate, original gardens on the grounds. She had many rare and unusual plants in her gardens. The couple continuously made improvements to the building and grounds.
Stacks Image 149
Stacks Image 150

The first addition was constructed in 1960 in the rear of the building and included an embalming room, lounge, office, and casket selection room. A side parking lot was built in 1965. The side porch was remodeled at the same time. A second parking lot in the rear was added in 1979. A second addition was constructed in 1998 which houses the current main visitation area with an arrangement conference area and casket selection room on the ground floor. The side porch area was remodeled in 2006. The crematory was added in 2010.

Stacks Image 151
Stacks Image 152
Wilbur and Wilma worked to develop the business while starting their family in the apartment above the parlor. Wilma worked for 35 years as a teacher in the Somerset Area School District until her retirement in 1977. She then became a well-known local taxi cab driver for the McNelly Bus Company, all the while being the de facto grounds keeper for the funeral home. Of their 3 children, Wendell, Wallace, and Wanda, only Wallace decided that he had a calling for the funeral profession.
Stacks Image 153
Stacks Image 154

He served his apprenticeship under Wilbur in 1980, and joined the staff of Wilbur D. Miller Funeral Home in 1981. He acquired ownership in 1995. His wife Arlene joined him as a funeral director in 2006 and they continue to live in the apartment above the funeral home.
To better serve their clients, the Millers acquired the former Wood Funeral Home in Rockwood in 1994. The front of the building was remodeled in 2003.


Stacks Image 155